Government – or Public - Procurement is another way of entering the Japanese market. With an estimated 550 billion euros, Japanese public procurement - supplying goods and services to government organisations – largely remains an untapped market for European companies, in particular SMEs, despite of the fact that the Japanese government provides different types of tendering that may be interesting to European companies. But access to the public market has remained quite difficult for foreign companies.
The Japan Tax & Public Procurement (JTPP) Helpdesk provides a range of services in the area of public procurement to lessen the hurdles that might impede European companies from entering this market.
SERVICES OFFERED BY JTPP HELPDESK
The JTPP Helpdesk offers the following free services:
- Information Inquiry Service, with first reply within 48 hours;
- Ask-the-expert service, offering first-line advice on your more complex inquiries, and if necessary liaising with relevant experts;
- PP Supplier Qualification Application Support Service;
- Practical guides and checklists;
- Information-clearing house on public procurement;
- Webinars provided by experts in the field;
- PP Market Quick Scan service;
- Tender call monitoring services (Limited);
- Twitter news service.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Of the 78.000 companies who possessed PP Supplier Qualifications in 2011 only 264 were foreign companies
- EU-headquartered enterprises active in PP are found in particular in sectors where innovative state-of-the-art technology is needed, such as medical and scientific equipment.
- More than a quarter of the competitive calls has only one bidder (2007-2012).